What’s that you say ? you can’t put a timber box into a oven ?
Oh but you can !
You can put it into a Electric Oven, a Gas Oven, A Weber Q , a Pizza Oven – oh yes you most certainly can ! Resulting in the most amazing flavoursome and moist cakes, slices and breads
The Timber Cake box you see featured in this post is the 20cm Timber Cake Box from The Timber Cake Box Company
You too can discover the art of Timber Cake Box baking by purchasing one of these beautiful handmade Timber Cake Boxes. Made from natural sustainable Hoop Pine the boxes are not only environmentally friendly but you will only ever need to purchase one, once you have one. it will last for many years, that is of course unless you want a different size. !
Being a natural product Timber has natural Insulation properties and this coupled with the steam effect from baking slow and low is the similar idea as placing a container of water in the bottom of the oven when you bake but without that necessary step. Its a more gentle way of baking
I have some some exciting news though ! Not only can you purchase one of these beautiful Timber Cake Boxes from The Timber Cake Box Company Store BUT I have a couple of surprises for you –
- A Giveaway !
Where the winner will receive a Beautiful 20cm Cake Box & gorgeous Signature Tea Towel from The Timber Cake Box Company
- For the first 10 people to purchase a Timber Cake Box of any size you will receive a complimentary Signature Tea Towel made from a mix of Linen and Cotton Blend from The Timber Cake Box Company as photographed above ! All you need to do is contact me for the CODE and you will receive one
( Limited to the first 10 purchases )
- At the end of this post you will find a recipe from me to make this amazing Cake – This one I have made as a slice but although I haven’t done so yet I am sure you can double the recipe ingredients and have larger cake version
So how can you WIN a 20cm Timber Cake Box and Signature Tea Towel ? SIMPLE !
All you need to do is the following –
- Comment on this blog post ( at the end of the recipe below ) what Cake you would make in The Timber Cake Box.
- Like My Facebook Page Thermoblitz Mixing Food and Life
- Like the Timber Cake Box Company’s Facebook Page
- Share CLICK HERE > Post on my Facebook Page < about the Giveaway
- Competition commences 8am WST 10th April 2016
- Competition finishes 8am WST 26th of April 2016
- This competition is not endorsed or sponsored by Facebook
- Total Prize Value is $73.50 for the 20cm Timber Cake Box, Linen / Cotton Blend Tea Towel and Postage to the Winner.
Before cooking in your Timber Cake Box you must Season the Environmentally Pine Hoop Box – A Full instruction sheet comes with your Timber box on how to do this.
Here are my step by step photos to my Seasoning the Timber Cake Box and making my first Slice Cake in it
My Cake Box Slice Recipe
1 Cup of Self Raising Flour
1 Cup Shredded Coconut
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Gourmet Dried Fruits Selections – Dates, Sultanas, Currants, Figs, Cranberries ( I used a Sunbeam Gourmet Mix of these fruits but these packs were limited edition )
1/4 Cup Cranberry Juice ( Or Orange Juice )
1 Cup Milk
1/4 Teaspoon of each of these spices Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Al Spice
Into a large bowl place Flour , Spices, Sugar Spices and Coconut
Into a small bowl soak the dried fruit in the Cranberry ( Or Orange ) Juice for 30 mins to an hour
After soaking the fruit drain juice and add a few tablespoons of Self Raising Flour to coat the fruit
Add the Fruit and mix in with the Dry ingredients and then add in the cup of milk and mix through
Pour into your Lined Timber Cake Box as above
Put into your just turned on Oven to 150 degrees on the Middle Shelf and cook for approximately 40 – 45 minutes and then add in your pre Cut Square Sheet that will sit on the top of your cake so there is no burning . Continue to cook for approximately 10-15minutes more until a skewer comes out clean
Bring out the cake box and allow to cool in the box. The warmth of the Timber will continue to cook the cake . So if its already well cooked you can turn out to cool on a wire cake rack but best to cook for 5-10 minutes in the Box first .
Do not wash your box – just brush any crumbs off and store for next time .
Be sure to check out the Timber Cake Box Company Website for other recipes and you can of course bake any cake you like
Bon Appetit x